If you’re like 75 percent of Americans, you have some anxiety about going the dentist. This fear may have even kept you from getting the dental care you need. If so, we have good news for you! Sedation dentistry in Warrenton is just what you’ve been looking for. Sedation can:Doctor Jim Jelinek on the Sedation Options Available Read Transcript
Sedation dentistry and options available, the first thing would be nitrous oxide sedation, which is a nitrous oxide gas and oxygen. It's very safe because the patient's getting oxygen at the same time. It helps people relax, most of the time. Some people, it doesn't work that way for. Some people, it will excite or some people say, “I just don't feel anything.” Any of the sedation we do use we'll also try to reduce the number of stimuli coming in so we might use an eye pillow or something like that.
Another type of sedation is oral sedation where the patient is given a sedative pill. I usually have them come in about an hour early, we give them a pill, we just let them sit and give it a chance to work. The drug that we use, it's in the Valium family so what it does, it produces an amnesia so the patient usually doesn't remember what happens. They might even think they were asleep. Some people might doze off during that procedure.
Then there's IV or intravenous sedation, which is much more predictable. We start an IV line in the arm. IV sedation's really cool. It's probably, if I had a choice, that's the way that I would probably recommend going unless it's a quick, short procedure because the IV, more predictable. When you put the sedative drug in, it's in 15 seconds, you've got your result. What's neat about that too, is say that patient, “Hey, listen, I'm still awake,” you give them a little bit more, 15 seconds—you’re not waiting around like you would with oral sedation with that. We do it that way. It's safe. With IV sedation too, that we do the patient's still breathing on their own. We don't have to intubate for them to do that, that would be general anesthesia. Again, they think they were asleep because they don't remember anything that happened.
- Get you the dental care you need to keep your smile bright
- Help prevent further problems with your teeth and overall oral health
- Set your mind at ease about future visits to our office
Trust your smile to the dental sedation experts! Call our office today at 540-253-1377. Your smile deserves it. We’re conveniently located on Rock Pointe Lane in Warrenton, just down the street from Piedmont Pediatrics.
Choose From Three Kinds of Sedation
Dental anxiety is a thing of the past in the skilled hands of our dentists and staff. We’ll take our time to make sure you’re completely comfortable during your visits. Besides the warm amenities of our office, we offer these safe sedation options:
- Laughing Gas – Our most basic form of sedation will be perfect for you if you just need to take the edge off your anxiety. We’ll have you put on a comfortable mask, and then you’ll breathe in a precise mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen. There won’t be any lasting effects after your procedure, and you should be able to drive yourself home.
- Conscious Oral Sedation – If you require a stronger sedative to soothe your mind and calm your nerves, this option is for you. We’ll give you a prescription for a pill to take in the office before your procedure starts. You’ll feel groggy but will still be able to communicate with our staff. The effects can last a few hours, so you’ll need someone to drive you home.
- IV Sedation – This is our strongest sedation option. If your anxiety is severe, or if you’re having a lot of work done, this may be best for you. Our trained staff will gently give you a sedative drug. It will begin to work quickly and can easily be adjusted by your dentist as needed. Many people remember little or nothing about their visit with this sedation option.