If you’re among the estimated 10 million Americans affected by a TMJ disorder, you may suffer from uncomfortable symptoms such as an aching jaw, chronic headaches and migraines, and difficulty opening or closing your mouth. Our dentists can help to relieve your pain with noninvasive TMJ treatment in Warrenton. They’ll use a custom mouthguard that:Doctor Jim Jelinek on TMJ Read Transcript
The way we treat TMJ and teeth grinding is we make a device that fits in the mouth, it actually fits in the front of the mouth. It helps deprogram the muscles in the side of the jaw here, these muscles that do this to each other, close the jaw. And if you can do that, a lot of times, the patient will get comfortable with that. You have to do something like that otherwise, if they're still hitting their teeth together and grinding, they're going to have problems.
The other thing with that is we have a very good referral source for TMJ, and everybody that goes to see him and does the treatment with him gets better.
- Gently moves your jaw forward, easing tension on your temporomandibular joints (TMJ)
- Prevents teeth grinding (bruxism), which many medical professionals believe is linked to TMJ disorder (TMD)
- Is comfortable, thanks to its custom fit
- Is less invasive than other forms of treatment such as surgery
- Costs less than other treatment alternatives
- Is completely reversible, unlike some other treatments
To find out more about TMJ treatment without surgery, call 540-253-1377.
Help Your Jaw Feel Better With These Recommendations
No one is certain of what causes TMD. However, dental problems such as bite alignment issues and teeth grinding may play a role. Our dentists will look for these issues during your dental exams. Though not all medical professionals can agree on the causes, we agree that it’s best to try the most conservative forms of TMD treatment first. In addition to a custom mouthguard, our dentists may also recommend:
- Eating soft foods to reduce stress from chewing
- Applying moist heat and/or ice to alleviate inflammation and muscle pain
- Using gentle stretching exercises to relieve muscle soreness
- Taking anti-inflammatory medications and/or muscle relaxants
If you use a mouthguard and follow our other recommendations yet are still in pain, we will consider other treatments until we find what works best for you.
Ready to relieve your chronic jaw pain? Our dentists have treated many TMJ disorders in their combined decades of practicing dentistry. To talk to them about TMJ treatment in Warrenton, call Drs. Yung & Jelinek at 540-253-1377 or schedule online. Our office is located at 60 Rock Pointe Lane, just one block up from Piedmont Pediatrics.